top of page
Child Contact What happens at - AdobeStock_282163930_edited.jpg

What happens at child contact centres?

How do I get a referral?

Most referrals are made through the court, but here at RS Borders we accept self-referrals. If you think that we can help you and want to refer yourself, please get in touch with us to discuss your arrangements.

Please note that our child contact centres have the right to refuse a referral or cancel a service once it has begun.

How long does referral take?

It depends. The length of the referral process depends on parental co-operation, the judicial process and the availability of a place at the centre. There is no set time for how long the process takes from the point at which you make initial arrangements to the contact taking place.

What kind of people run child contact centres?

You’ll be in safe hands. Child contact centres are run by a management committee and trained staff. The management committee consists of qualified people with relevant backgrounds and might include sheriffs, social workers, teachers, solicitors and doctors. All staff members are trained to deal with child protection issues, health and safety, conflict management, confidentiality and domestic abuse.

How old do children have to be to use the centre?

There is no age limit. Although many of the children who use the centres are younger, some might be 16 or older, and other young people may have learning difficulties. They all need to use a safe venue to meet their non-resident parents, and that is what child contact centres provide.

How much does the service cost?

Here at RS Borders we make an administrative charge for the intake process, and for each supported in-centre and handover contact to help with the overall costs of keeping the centre open. There is a charge for each supervised contact and for each requested report. In exceptional circumstances, you may be asked to make a contribution towards the cost if you cannot afford the full amount. You may also be eligible to claim Legal Aid. Please speak to us for more information.

bottom of page